I flew to New York
City in the midst of a deadline at my job managing Ry Rocklen's studio. I had
been making plaster molds of his clothing and tiling a basketball-motif beanbag
with small pink marble tiles for several weeks. I traveled during the worst possible
time. Besides the deadline at work, I had swollen lymph nodes from partying too
much with the cast members of Trajel Harrel's Antigone Sr., recently staged at REDCAT in downtown Los Angeles.
Under slept, overworked, and on antibiotics, I boarded a Virgin America flight
to maintain and sustain a sense of camaraderie with three individuals.
Malene Dam, a
classmate from CalArts and now dear friend and co-conspirator, was presenting
her thesis exhibition at the conclusion of her studies a CCS Bard; a program
she started immediately following our master degrees from CalArts in 2012. Her
contribution was a collaboration between herself, Ted Kerr, and Bridget
de Gersigny entitled "No Narrative Preceded Us" which encompassed a series of events including reading
groups, performance, and public conversations.
Orange colored vinyl
text ran the contours of the gallery in three horizontal rows, as if signifying
three voices. Three plywood boxes, looking like art-world shipping crates, sat
at angles evenly spaced on the blue-grey carpeted floor specifically installed
for the exhibit. Each box had a set of headphones with spoken audio from one of
the collaborators. More vinyl lettering adhered to the box informed details of
the audio track one was hearing. The boxes were invitations to sit and listen
amidst the hustle and bustle of an opening filled with excitement about new
curatorships and new ways of curating. Sat on these boxes was where I began and
ended my visit to the Hessel Museum.
I already knew what
the project was about due to many Skype and phone conversations with Malene in
the weeks leading to her opening. She even sent a few iPhone images during
the installation process. Both Malene's artistic and curatorial practice(s) are
deeply invested in practice itself. This means she leans toward conversation rather
than object making, asking questions rather than presenting solutions, and
examining methodologies while participating inside and outside existing models.
This approach, which she boldly sticks to and perhaps feels marginalized and
frustrated at times within contexts that privilege studio practices and
object-based installations, allows Malene to occupy a very generous position
and generative commitment to others. Her ego does not drive her endeavors,
rather a sense of urgency that is constantly questioning modes of knowledge
production and the hierarchies that shape and control social
interactions. Her position is always clearly articulated as one explicitly
invested in Feminist and Queer discourses.
Our commitment to
and interests in each other's practices has fostered a strong dialogue covering
a range of topics from Feminist and Queer politics, gossip about friends,
professional development, family issues, performance histories and legacies,
life in and out of institutions, life in general... all tended to with
devotion, care, respect and honesty. When I was building my first solo
exhibition post CalArts, I immediately approached Malene about crafting a text
for the exhibition catalogue. The essay produced demystified our relationship
by addressing our camaraderie and articulated the nuances of my work and my
approach to making work in a way that caused an emotional response upon my
initial read.
This was also the
reaction Malene had at the end of her opening. Tears of many reasons flowed
down her cheeks as she thanked her friends for coming from multiple states by way
of planes, trains, buses and cars. Rather than write a review of her work by
attempting to analyze what's happening where, what's working or not, and
conclude some hasty whatever... I choose to focus on the inter-personal meaning
of that event and our friendship, something that isn't given enough space in
art-world speak, and something that Malene holds dear and works very hard to
maintain.
No comments:
Post a Comment