This weekend I traveled to Death Valley Junction for the second time. I was accompanied by the lovely Julia Giertz and Emma-Cecilia Ajanki of THE MOB, friends I made this summer in France whilst performing "GONE FOR GOLD". We joined two more L.A. companions (Johanna and Anne Guro), and met up with a group of students from the HBK in Braunschweig (where I performed "G4G" for the first time after leaving Los Angeles: my Euro-premiere)... We stayed at the magical Amargosa Opera House and Hotel, home of the amazingly unique, endlessly inspiring, ultimate desert diva, Marta Becket.
After seeing Marta perform her "sit down show" one year ago, I was inspired to write "GONE FOR GOLD", and even penned the line: so feck it! I'll be like Marta Becket... into the rhyming monologue. I arranged a meeting with her today at her humble adobe home behind her famous hand-painted theatre. I told Marta about my show and recent tour, how her opera house has generated many new ideas for my work, and that I find a kindred performer spirit in her life, song, and story. She asked, "when will you come perform here?"... only time will tell!
She signed my copy of her autobiography "To Dance on Sands" and we parted ways with a sweet au revoir.
She signed my copy of her autobiography "To Dance on Sands" and we parted ways with a sweet au revoir.
Before our meeting, I had a photo shoot around the Opera House and Hotel.
All images by Emma-Cecilia Ajanki.

No comments:
Post a Comment