Thursday, June 21, 2012
Since I began performing my one-man-cabaret-style performances beginning late in my undergraduate BFA studies at Penn State, instructors, colleagues, and strangers have mentioned Justin Vivian Bond. I distinctly remember an independent study meeting with Harry Dodge during my first semester at CalArts that not only brought up JVB, but Harry explained Bond's "Kiki and Herb" history, citing their amazing trajectory from local San Fran performers to becoming Broadway stars. I love this kind of example and have kept it in close mental focus, often using it as a source of inspiration and encouragement as I've continued to develop my performative practices. Other instructors including Millie Wilson and Kaucyila Brooke mentioned Justin Vivian Bond during our generative interactions. For this I am grateful.
The first time I saw Bond in the flesh was at Coachella 2011. I had just bought a young coconut to quench my thirst and sat down with my friend and collaborator Gracie DeVito for a relaxation break. Sitting at the picnic table across from us (also drinking a coconut, if I remember correctly) was a very striking individual with perfect posture, milky skin, red lipstick, and large black sunglasses. I instantly knew who this was, but decided not to interrupt Bond's conversation to introduce myself. Later that night v came onstage during the Scissor Sisters' set wearing large pieces of silver mylar like some kind of a deconstructed mirror ball super hero. Actually, a poised, extra spicy goddess. I got so excited that while jumping around and cheering I happened to stomp on JD Samson's foot, but at least when I turned to apologize I was able to introduce myself. The third time I laid eyes on Bond was at a juice bar in Silverlake, but again, I decided to remain anonymous.
So when I saw that Mx. JVB was coming to REDCAT in February I immediately bought two tickets. My dear friend and CalArts co-conspirator Malene Dam accompanied me to the show where we sat front row. The performance was spectacular, filled with hilariously sharp anecdotes and emotionally robust musical offerings. After the show I waited in line to buy Bond's award winning book "Tango: My Childhood, Backwards and in High Heels". I introduced myself and explained that I grew up in the town adjacent to Bond's hometown of Hagerstown, Maryland. Like myself, Bond has family in West Virginia, where my mother was born and raised. I asked if v ever goes back to that part of the country, and v surely does for holidays and family events. We agreed to become Facebook friends and that I should message when we are home during the holidays to meet for a drink (or a juice?!) Coconut, perhaps. I sincerely hope that opportunity arises, and very much look forward to it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment